The Malaysian Qualifications Agency or MQA is a statutory body set up under the Malaysian Qualifications Act 2007 to accredit academic programs in Malaysian Universities providing higher education.
The main role of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency ( MQA ) is to implement the Qualification Framework country wide (MQF) as a basis for quality assurance of higher education and as the reference point for the criteria and standards for national qualifications for study in Malaysia .
Some of the functions of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency ( MQA ) are as follows:
- To implement MQF as a reference point for all Malaysian qualifications nation wide.
- To develop standards and credits and all other relevant instruments as national references for the conferment of awards with the cooperation of stakeholders concerned.
- To quality assure all higher education institutions and their respective programs.
- To accredit courses that fulfil the set criteria and standards.
- To facilitate the recognition and articulation of qualifications among all institutions of higher learning in Malaysia.
- To maintain the Malaysian Qualifications Register (MQR).
The Malaysian Qualifications Agency ( MQA ) also evaluates foreign qualifications and assesses it for equivalency with Malaysian secondary school and university preparatory qualifications.
In addition, the Malaysian Qualifications Agency ( MQA ) assurances also provides suggested equivalency qualifications with the more popular international students countries who are currently studying in Malaysia so that the institutions of higher learning may use these references in their equivalency matching when these international students apply to study in Malaysia.
With the objective of improving the quality of higher education institutions in Malaysia and the programs of higher education study, Ministry of Education implements the Accreditation Program to evaluate whether higher education programs meet quality standards. The accreditation program aims to ensure that higher education programs meet the standards and criteria in the Code of Practice for Accreditation (COPPA), in compliance with the Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF) and other related guidelines.